Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Professional Ensembles

It's never easy putting a professional look together, let alone at 6:00am before you've had your cup of Joe.  And yet those of us that work the desk life do it day-in and day-out.

Courtesy of Lane Bryant

Don't get me wrong, I set out with fashionable intentions. I envision belted dresses, high heels that click down tile halls with authority and precise, perfect makeup that says "I popped out of bed with ease this morning!"  The truth is though, I often find myself opting for the easiest ensemble to put together because I'm short on time.  A black suit/print blouse combo like the one pictured here tends to be my go-to look for workdays; it's simple construction makes it effortless even in the dreariest of mornings.

I love the confidence I feel in a smart black suit and heels, so I am fine with this daily outfit, but I like to add an interesting piece to it each day to give it my own personal flare. I think it's important to express yourself, and one of the ways to do that is through accessories. It can keep you from getting into an everyday rut of same-stuff-different-day.


      

Today, my flare started with a pair of black, zip ankle boots with gold grommet and mini spike design. I found these at Lane Bryant on clearance for $19.99. I have to say, I absolutely love these booties! They are comfortable and can easily be worn all day without any discomfort whatsoever. What drew me to them was the gold design. It's different without being in your face, which makes them perfect for professional wear. They are a nice change from the plain flats I often choose to wear instead.                                                                                            
I also added a couple statement pieces of Lia Sophia jewelry to the outfit - a cuff bracelet and necklace. A few years back, I hosted a Lia Sophia party and was able to get quite a bit of credit towards their jewelry because of the amount we were able to sell at the party. (Otherwise, I honestly probably wouldn't own any of their jewelry because I feel their retail prices are way too high.)


The very first item I put on my wish list was this beautiful chainlink cuff. I had been to another Lia Sophia party as a guest, and this baby caught my eye the minute I walked in. The sales lady had displayed all sorts of the brand's jewelry on the dining room table, and in the midst of so many other items was this piece. It was so "me" in so many ways, and I knew I HAD to have it. It's chunky, black and metal. I simply couldn't pass it up.  So when I was able to get store credit through hosting a party, I was able to order this one for free (retail $85.00). When I first bought it, it was all black, but now that I've had it for a few years, it has started to tarnish. I actually really like the tarnished look on this one. I think it enhances the detail of the chain wonderfully. And I must admit, it makes me feel like Wonder Woman every time I put it on...Who doesn't want that?


The final piece I chose was the Lia Sophia necklace pictured below. I apologize, I can't remember how much it retailed for. I chose it because I felt the colors matched my blouse nicely. What I really like about this necklace is it's odd chain. The larger links in the chain give it interest, and the different colored beads make it easy to match with several different blouses.  This necklace is one of the few shorter necklaces I wear because it lays nice and flat on the chest. I have come across several shorter necklaces that pinch the skin and constantly flip the wrong way, and I find myself taking them off before the workday is over. I don't have either problem with this one. I really enjoy the styles Lia Sophia offers, and I still wear several of their pieces on a daily basis years after purchasing them.



It's through subtle details like these that an ordinary career suit can turn into a funky ensemble that makes you happy to wear all day everyday and that reflects your own sense of style. If you take the extra time in the morning to add these little details, I promise you'll love yourself for it.

Much Love,
~Heather

2 comments:

  1. That jewelry is too cute! And I'm in looove with those booties as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just couldn't pass up those boots. Especially for the price. They lasted the harsh winter when all my other shoes fell apart!

    ReplyDelete