Monday, January 5, 2015

Dresses on a Dime

Hello and Happy New Year, Readers!  I hope you accomplish all that you desire to this new year. 

 I have battled and battled with new year's resolutions, and each year it is always the same "resolution to lose weight and look better."  And each year, my resolution is squandered by self-doubt and low self-esteem.

I can't do the exercises.
I can't learn to eat healthier.
I love oreos too much.
I hate running.
So on and so forth.

So this year, I decided on a new resolution that has absolutely nothing to do with shaming myself and everything to do with loving myself for exactly the way I am at this point in time.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to lose weight and look great in a smaller size.  But right now, this is me - a size 18 beautiful woman with goals and dreams. My resolution this year is to acknowledge that truth and learn to accept and love my body for just the way it is.  Once I accept and love?  Then I can truly begin my transformation both emotionally and physically. (I am also writing my first full-length novel this year!)
~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~

So today, I bring you a topic and a fashion trend that has PLAGUED me for years and years.  I have been afraid of this style all of my life because I always felt like I was too big of a frame to wear it and flaunt it.  Well, newsflash!  Turns out I love them.

DRESSES!

I want to share with you some of the thrifted dresses I've found over the last year, and show you that you can look great for that special occasion without spending a fortune.  You can find great quality items for a fraction of department store prices, and no one will ever know the difference.  Check it out!

1. Chico's Size 3 Zebra Print Tank Dress - Goodwill ($4.99)

This dress is super comfortable and wearable for both special and casual occasions.  It's lightweight and flirty fun with the flouncy skirt.  I wear this to work with a black or solid colored cardigan and with the cropped, dark jean jacket below for weekend wear.  Add a high-waisted belt and some jewelry and you're ready to go.


2. Striped Print Wrap Dress, Brand & Size Unknown (no tag) - Goodwill ($2.50 1/2 off colored tag)

I would normally pass up a wrap dress because they usually just feel awkward on my body.  I feel like they sit uncomfortably on my figure, but I saw this color pattern and really liked it so I tried it on.  I'm still getting used to the feel of the way it wraps, but I do think it looks nice and is suitable for drinks after work or a nice dinner with my husband on the weekend.  And for two dollars, you just can't beat the price!



3. Igigi Size 18 Black & Gold Lace Sheath Dress - Goodwill ($4.99)

Can I just say - LOVE this dress!  It was originally priced for the Goodwill Boutique at $12.99, but was moved to the regular Goodwill store after it didn't sell, and I scored it for five bucks.  I think this dress has a simple, sexy vibe to it, and I feel confident just putting it on.  It is a back lace sheath over gold metallic material, and I just love how it glimmers when you move.  The classic draped neckline and over-sized sleeves make fore an elegant,  yet modern look.  Add a belt to cinch the waist, bangles on the wrists and a colorful pair of heels for a fun night on the town.  I think this is also a classy enough look to work great for weddings and other similar special occasions as well.  



4. Chico's Size 3 Flower Print Sheath Dress - Goodwill Boutique ($12.99)

I was really on the fence about this dress for two reasons: 1) it's shorter than I'm used to, coming up above the knee, and 2) it's a clingy dress with no give.  I don't usually wear dresses much shorter than knee length because I am not a fan of my chubby knees.  I also don't normally choose any type of clothing that is not a stretchy material.  Even my structured blazers are some blend of polyester with some give.  But I made an exception in the case because I personally think it looks amazing on.  I feel like a woman wearing this.  I know that probably sounds funny, seeing as the size of my chest clearly states I'm a woman, but I just feel like it shows off curves in the right places.  The diagonal print of the front is placed perfectly and the length really makes me look a few inches taller.  It's not as comfortable as my stretchy dresses, but it is definitely wearable.  I wear this with a suit jacket for work and a colorful scarf for a night out to dinner.  High-waisted belts are a must for me in a sheath style dress; it helps add a little definition for some shape.

(Say 'hello' to my three ferrets! Angus's white head in the first photo and Cooper & Malcolm in the second LOL.)


5. R&K Size 1X Reptilian Print Sheath Dress - JC Penney Liquidation Sale 
($6.90: 90% Off Original Price)

This dress wasn't a thrift store find, but it was a dirt cheap bargain that I had to include.  This is by far, my favorite dress to wear.  It's funky, fun and full of bright color.  I wore this to work with a cardigan or blazer, and then turned around and wore it on its own with accessories and a belt for my bachelorette party.  This dress is my kind of funky with an edgy print and my two favorite colors, green and purple.  I like to pair this number with my faux snakeskin platform booties and a couple of flashy wrist cuffs and bam!  Instant vixen!  ;)



So that's my secret for dresses on a dime.  If you like this post, please like and share my Facebook page!

Much love,
-Heather

2 comments:

  1. I love these dresses on you. You've inspired me to start wearing them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you, girl! I have definitely learned to love them. Plus, they are a great option for work because they are so easy to style. I don't have to think too hard in the mornings! Lol :)

      Delete